It's a New England tradition that I miss.  When I first went to the mountains in the late 50s & early 60s everyone did it.  When I first went to Killington in ~ 1983* they still did.  We skied in the free hour on our last day and then began the long drive home to VA.  It was nice.  I liked it.

* Killington existed in 1965, when I graduated from Northeastern, got an ROTC commission,  entered the Army in GA, but it didn't amount to anything.  A decade later, after Army, grad school, post doc, marriage, little kids, some colleagues at work said they were going to Killington and that it was the biggest and best place in the east.  I said; "Huh?  Never heard of it and I grew up in New England and skied."