So presumably no one fashioned some makeshift schuss gear then, for the report would surely contain such shenanigans?

On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 10:31 AM, Get Skied <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
I did a wettish hike up Mt Mansfield yesterday with a friend. We started from Stevensville and took a somewhat circuitous route (Underhill-->Overland -->Bruce-->Old Nosedive-->LT South-->Maple Ridge-->Frost). Just as we turned onto the Bruce a round of sleet/graupel began hammering us. It alternated back and forth with clear skies and rain on the ascent, until we were just below the Bruce exit (i.e. the skier entry), at which point it began snowing/sleeting in earnest and lightning/thundering as well. It was rather scary for a moment due to the bolts of lightning popping all around us - I had flashbacks to a particular high traverse I skied with Jerm and Matt last decade where electrical conditions occurred.

Anyways, a thin coating of pellets turned the ground a faint white, and as we hiked past the buildings on the Nose we noticed a few spots where the frozen stuff had blown in and was solidly snow-like. The sun came back out by the time we had reached the Forehead, creating some stunning early stick season contrasts.

Evan

"I'm a simple man, Hobbes."
"You?? Yesterday you wanted a nuclear powered car that could turn into a jet with laser-guided heat-seeking missiles!"
"I'm a simple man with complex tastes."