Dear VTBIRDers:

I advise caution on these late hummingbirds. This one does appear to be
in the genus Selasphorus (Rufous, Allen's, Broad-tailed). The rosy wash
on the flanks is wonderful. (But immature Ruby-throated Hummingbirds can
show a cinnamon wash below, and birders even need to consider Calliope
Hummingbird when these show up; this one ain't a Calliope.)
Identification in Selasphorus is perilous. If anyone goes for photos,
please try to get shots (fast shutter speed!) of the spread tail. And
vocalizations from any video would help. This appears to be an immature
Rufous/Allen's. Rufous Hummingbird certainly shows up in the East in the
fall. But it pays to be sure. In any event, it's exciting news!

Best,
Bryan Pfeiffer

> From: Randy Schmidt <randy AT THEVERMONTBIRDPLACE.COM>
> Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 12:22:04 -0500
> As several suggested, I was able to go see the East Arlington bird and have
> uploaded a few pictures we took today - however the best one or 3 is here on
> the Vermont eBird Flickr site.
>

> http://www.flickr.com/photos/37954945  AT N04/6377569501/in/pool-vtebird
>
> This picture is from this morning, about 9am, 35 degrees - and boy was he
> active... this bird chased everything and anything that came near it or the
> feeder. I will be posting a video to our You Tube channel a little later that
> has some great vocalizations -
>

> Randy Schmidt
> The Vermont Bird Place&  Sky Watch
> Manchester Center, VT