Since the question of late sightings of Sandhill Cranes has come up, here is my 2 cents worth. Earlier in the month I spotted four Sandhill Cranes at Bristol Pond. Ian Worley promptly contacted me and pointed out that this was the latest report of Sandhill Cranes at Bristol Pond recorded in VT eBird. Ian asked for more documentation and fortunately I had a rather wretched photo of the cranes, which I shared with him. I also searched the VTBird list archives and found a report of the Bristol Pond cranes in November by Ken Copenhaver from a few years ago. Ken Cox's report obviously supercedes mine, but the point is that cranes in Vermont stick around well into November.

It may be worth noting that this week the Festival of the Cranes is taking place at the Bosque del Apache refuge in New Mexico. In the west Sandhill Cranes leave their breeding grounds in November, stop over at Bosque until around Valentines Day, then proceed to South Texas and northern Mexico for the winter. I am not sure where the Bristol Pond cranes migrate to, but I would think that they would follow the same general time line as the western cranes.

Hmm. That looks like 4 cents worth to me.

Bruce MacPherson
South Burlington