All,

There seem to be a lot of vagrant hummingbirds in the east this year. I know of at least 4 species other than Ruby-throated that have shown up back home in MD, and we're not talking in singles either. Note also that the bulk of these sightings are usually from December/January.

Since it's been such a warm fall in VT, I would expect the chances to find a vagrant hummer are higher then normal (which is practically zero, right?). And I notice that, other than ruby-throated, there is only one other hummingbird species on the state list: Rufous. So I hope people are keeping their feeders filled and their eyes open. Being that a Rufous/Allen's is currently being seen, I agree with Bryan that someone needs to fully document this bird so a positive id can be made. Or better yet, Maryland birder's have 2 banders on call for vagrant hummers. Once they've gotten the okay from the homeowner, the guys band the hummer in order to thoroughly and completely document the bird.

So my real question is, are there any hummingbird banders in VT that would be up to the challenge?

Amanda Spears