This is just one of many ways carriers/3rd parties can take a look at
what you do on your smartphone. It's best to assume that someone is
looking over your shoulder all the time on your phone, even over SSL.

*removes tinfoil hat*

Over at the verge, they went over and interviewed the CEO @ carrier IQ
(A. Coward....really, that's his name) and it doesn't sound like it's
that much worse (if at all) than the stuff your carrier can already do
once the data is in their network.

read it and draw your own conclusions:
http://www.theverge.com/2011/12/5/2609662/carrier-iq-interview

Also, if you do have an android phone, you should be running cyanogen
anyway...its lovely.

Best,
Tucci