I just wanted to report that in no case have I been able to revert to the passphrase-only prompt after upgrading to the newest version of PGP Desktop.  I have installed PGP with a valid network connection in every case, and have also followed the update policy procedures outlined below.  Nonetheless, the PGP WDE prompt asks for user, password and domain.

Personally, this is not a big deal to me, as I prefer this to passphrase-only authentication.