Good Morning, All,

We regret the network disruption experienced by parts of the UVM campus on Wednesday, 21 December, between about 10:45 am and 3:30 pm.  The disruption was caused by a new network switch that had gone into operation in Aiken just two weeks ago.  Because of its unusual configuration, designed to improve service to RSENR, it failed in a way that advertised conflicting information to other network devices on campus and left those devices in a confused state, unable to provide network connections.  And changes we made to identify the problem caused the disruptions to migrate around campus, which made it more difficult to locate.

    Campus network service has been restored and appears to be operating normally.  There may be lingering problems today, Thursday, as we identify and reset devices confused by the failure yesterday.  Please report any problems to 656-8888 or [log in to unmask]

    We're working with the manufacturer to redesign around this network component to prevent this type of unusual failure from causing campus service disruptions in the future.

David Todd