Thanks to Ron Payne getting the word out for me and to Larry for giving
the update.  Thanks to Jim Mead for showing up almost instantly to help
refind the bird, and then search for it locally by car.

The bird was quite difficult to spot initially in the field, a tall
grass field that had been mowed or brush-hogged leaving fairly tall
stubble and ruts.  At first all I saw while driving by was what turned
out to be a rear view of the top of its head showing just above the
grass far out in the middle of the field.  After pulling into someone's
driveway I was able to get my scope on the bird and view 70% of the body
from the rear quarter.  The movements of the bird at first were
consistent with feeding on prey.  The bird then took notice of me,
staring at me, then turning away, then staring again.

If someone was looking for a white bird they would not have noticed this
one, as it was quite dark in appearance from the rear, including the top
of the head that initially caught my notice.

I decided I needed to reposition my car (a bad decision on my part), and
sometime while getting back in the car the bird departed.

Ian