The dimness due to the thick low clouds of today combined with the heavy
barring of the bird gave it the appearance I called "dark" in my
previous comments.  Fernando's photos are very consistent with the bird
I saw.  I saw the bird as per the pose in photo "Snowy Owl 2" except my
view of the back and wings was somewhat blurred due to thicker grasses
and/or the darkness of the day and no reflective snow on the ground.

Recollections of the 2009 bird was one reason I was wandering around in
the area instead of taking the direct route home to Cornwall following a
meeting in Burlington.

Ian