As an update:
Several people tried for the Purple Sandpiper the day after it was seen
on Thursday, with my attempt on Friday morning; and as far as I know, no
one else has found it in the Dead Creek area.

I saw the Snowy Owl about 11:45am today, with the help of Ian's report
and Jim Mead's being on the bird at the time.
There was some heat interference with the long-distance scope view out
to the farthest island, so the photography option for you (Fernando)
wouldn't have been ideal then, but the bird appeared quite white. We
felt there may have been some dark "flecks" on the bird; and some dark
markings can appear even on a male. Without a crisper view I wouldn't
want to call the age of the bird.
Larry Haugh
Shelburne, VT