Today I traveled to Benson and West Haven, the former to check out Benson
Landing on Lake Champlain in the hope of seeing a Great Black-backed Gull.
No luck, but I was rewarded, encountering four Bald Eagles, all immatures
and  all flying south. Also observed two Red-tailed Hawks, A peregrine Falcon
and two  Northern Harrier.  That makes nine!  The tenth raptor was
unfortunately deceased and it was the bird's wing flapping in the wind that drew
my attention. Viewing through the scope it appeared that the bird was caught
between the upper two layers of the fencing wire.  How it met its demise is
 unknown!  [See post for details.]

Selected posts.

Benson Landing, Rutland, US-VT
Dec 2, 2011 9:20 AM - 10:15  AM
Protocol: Stationary
Comments:     Brisk south wind.  Temperature 29 degrees F.
7 species

Common Goldeneye   44
Common Merganser  6
Bald Eagle  4     All four  birds were moving south down the lake at an
elevation of 100 feet or  lower.  All four were immature birds, the first 2
were "white bellies",  second year birds, and flying together.  The other two
were immatures with  dark bellies.  All birds had white axillaries and
coverts.
Herring  Gull  3
Downy Woodpecker  1
American Crow  6
Common  Raven  3

West Haven, Rutland, US-VT
Dec 2, 2011 12:35 PM - 12:50 PM
Protocol:  Stationary
Comments:     Stopped in "town center",  [crossroads], to view active
feeder.
6 species

Peregrine Falcon   1     Peregrine Falcon observed launching toward what
appeared to  be a Rock Pigeon in the distance.  A minute later, assuming the
same bird,  it was seen heading for a landing on the ground with a large prey
in its  grasp.
Red-bellied Woodpecker  1
Blue Jay  1
European  Starling  1
Red-winged Blackbird  2     Both  males.
House Sparrow  14

Stage Road, Benson, Rutland, US-VT
Dec 2, 2011 12:00 PM - 12:10  PM
Protocol: Stationary
Comments:     Large wetland and  extensive hay fields to the east.  Third
raptor was deceased, hanging  between upper two strands of fence wire.  Wing
flapping in the breeze.
2  species

Northern Harrier  2     Both birds sitting on  fence posts.
Common Raven  1

This report was generated  automatically by eBird v3 (http://ebird.org/vt)

Cheers,
Roy Pilcher
The Gables at East Mountain, Rutland,  Vermont

Speaking the same language.