Had an American Redstart this morning in my yard joining the Cardinal/Chickadee commotion. Thought I saw it two days ago but didn't get a good enough look, but today got a great look, and sure enough it was a Redstart.  I am in Brattleboro near downtown.  It is amazing and disconcerting how many late birds have been around.  On Nov 15 I was moving wood in Canaan NH and had a Blue Headed Vireo singing in the adjacent forest, latest I have heard of them being that far north.

Jesse Wampler

----- Original Message -----
From: "UVM LISTSERV Server (15.5)" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "Jesse Wampler" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Sunday, December 4, 2011 9:04:22 AM
Subject: Welcome to VTBIRD!

VTBIRD is an email list for discussion of wild birds and birding in
Vermont and adjacent areas.  Interested birders and nature enthusiasts are
encouraged to report recent sightings, ask questions, announce field trips,
or discuss bird conservation issues.  Contributions should be respectful,
informative, and relevant to our topic.

You are also encouraged to contribute your sightings to Vermont eBird, an
on-line database for tracking birds (http://www.ebird.org/vins/).

The Vermont Bird discussion list is hosted by the University of Vermont and
sponsored by the Rubenstein School of Environment and Natural Resources.
Ernie Buford (https://www.uvm.edu/directory/?Page=DIR&name=ernest.buford)
is the list owner.

Contents of this message (and more!) are available on the web at:
http://www.uvm.edu/~ebuford/vtbird.html

                       -------- ~ --------                [revised 4/9/04]

Please read and observe the following guidelines:

1. All messages to VTBIRD should include the following:

    * Your name and location (most email programs can be set to
      automatically append a signature block to outgoing messages)
    * An informative SUBJECT line that reflects the content of
      your message
    * Date and location of any sightings you are reporting

2. Please share reports of bird sightings in Vermont.  For other
   locales use common sense.  New Hampshire and other adjacent states
   have their own lists.  Nevertheless, many VTBIRD subscribers will
   be interested in reports from areas close to Vermont (especially
   reports of rare birds).

3. Other topics about bird identification, optics, field guides, or
   general nature observations are welcome and encouraged.  Please
   ask for a private response if you are requesting information for
   trips outside of our area.

4. Please do NOT post messages about viruses.  All who use the internet
   are responsible for staying informed and prepared to deal with viruses
   and virus hoaxes.  Computer viruses have nothing to do with birds
   or birding in Vermont.

5. Attachments are not allowed.  The preferred method for sharing photos
   or binary files is to post them on a web page.  Then include a URL
   (web address) in your message directing readers to the web page.

6. When replying to a message please make certain that your reply is
   addressed to the intended recipient(s).  A quick look at the "To:"
   field should indicate if you are replying to the entire list or to
   the sender only.

7. Please be thoughtful and courteous when posting messages to the
   list.  If you are offended by someone's contribution please take
   it up privately with the sender and/or the list owner.

HOW TO USE THE LIST
-------------------
WEB INSTRUCTIONS:

There is a web page where you can join or leave the list, post
messages to the list, or view VTBIRD archives:

  http://list.uvm.edu/archives/vtbird.html

(Archives of material prior to February 2002, when VTBIRD moved from
Castleton State College to UVM are not available at the above address.)

EMAIL INSTRUCTIONS:

     To join the vtbird list, send e-mail to:
     and put the subscribe command as the first line of your message
     along with the list name and your first and last name.  For example: