Hi all,

A fellow birder very kindly e-mailed me off line to let me know that the actual
age of the Purple Sandpiper that I saw yesterday was a 1st winter bird, not
an adult nonbreeding as I had posted. I actually have a great book
entitled "The Shorebird Guide" and if I would have looked in it, I would have
indeed seen that yesterday's bird was in fact a 1st winter bird. A 1st winter
bird has crisply white-fringed coverts & tertials just like the one I saw
yesterday. A nonbreeding bird would have not shown the crisp coverts and
the tertials would have less brilliant pale fringes. Sorry for the mis-info and
thank you to the birder who e-mailed me.

Jim Mead