I hope we get one down here. Kevin
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Pat Folsom<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
  To: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
  Sent: Friday, December 23, 2011 8:19 PM
  Subject: [VTBIRD] Snowy in Panton

  Hi Birders,

  Today I took a friend and went in search of the Snowy Owl reported by Jim
  Mead and Ian Worley yesterday.  We had no luck at the Spaulding Bay (end
  of Turkey Lane) location.  On the way back to Vergennes on Panton Rd, I
  decided to drive Slang Road to check out the fields where birders saw so
  many plovers and sandpipers this fall.

  As we crested the hill after crossing the bridge, we saw a Snowy Owl in
  the only large tree on the right, before the farm buildings on the right.
  Unfortunately, there was a car approaching from the opposite direction and
  the bird flew, landing first on the back edge of the biggest barn on the
  right, then moving to the front area where there are some new timbers and
  a ladder leaning against the building.  We drove down to the driveway to
  the barns and parked.  The bird sat there for about 5 minutes, then flew
  over us and landed on the roadside, very close to the tree where we first
  saw him.  We inched closer to him for a few minutes, but he eventually
  flew south toward West Rd.

  We saw the bird about 3:15 PM.  Good luck finding this Snowy.  I hope
  someone sees this beauty.

  My photos are not great, will see if friend Pat has better ones.
  Happy birding and holidays,
  Pat in Waitsfield

  PS - The Red-throated Loon was easily seen at Charlotte Town Beach earlier
  in the afternoon.