In contrast, I watched a lone American Robin eating native holly berries (Ilex verticillata) in the Enosburg Town Forest today, 12/28/11, as well as on Boxing Day, 12/26/11.
Charlotte Bill
Enosburgh, Vermont

________________________________
From: Mary & Paul <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, December 28, 2011 2:52 PM
Subject: [VTBIRD] Robins

As a follow up regarding Robins. Yesterday, 12/27, I stopped by the Charlotte post office and on my way in noticed quite a few robins hopping about the lawn and in the trees . Within the next 30 minutes I had counted over 1200! Loose flocks intermittently passed over head, some stopped to feed on crabapples  and buckthorn but all were moving south. Not to be undone , a murmuration of a few hundred  starlings bobbed and weaved overhead  on their way to roost.  There seems to be a lot of robins around . Today I counted over 400 in Williston and Shelburne and earlier in the week 200+ in Hinesburg. Just think of all the buckthorn fruit being dispersed about the Champlain Valley...
Paul Wieczoreck,
Hinesburg