Spent the morning with Dave Govatski and Mary Boulanger up at Moose Bog.
0 degrees but lots of activity with White-winged Crossbill males singing
along the power lines on Rte. 105. It is always worth the walk along Rte. 105
after walking the Moose Bog Trail. The views are better and I almost always
still find 3 of the boreal species from the paved road. The problem is noise
from passing cars but still worth doing. Boreal Chickadees sat up for good
views while Pine siskins filtered through many of the tree tops. One flock of
12 WW Crossbills flew over and heard a Black-backed flecking bark. When I
explored it was 2 different Black-backs within 30 feet of each other.

Dave Govatski had 2 RED Crossbiils on Saturday there and that is what we
were hoping for but not today. It is still very hard finding Spruce Grouse
during the winter months up there. Even when one finds tracks there are a
million trees to look through. :). List follows.

Moose Bog, Wenlock WMA, Ferdinand, Essex, US-VT Dec 30, 2011 7:00 AM -
11:00 AM
Protocol: Traveling
3.0 mile(s)
11 species

Black-backed Woodpecker  3     2 males, 1 female
Gray Jay  3
Blue Jay  6
Common Raven  2
Black-capped Chickadee  8