woo hoo, can't wait.

Mike

On Dec 19, 2011, at 11:11 PM, Patrick Haskell wrote:

I eagerly await the next serial installment from vicariousskiing.net.

Thanks for sharing,

Patrick

From: Mark P. Renson <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, December 19, 2011 10:18 PM
Subject: Re: [SKIVT-L] BC/Alberta - 20111209 through 20111217

Riding in the bus up Highway 1, I saw runnels in the snowpack ..................... a sign of prior rain.  There had been some harsh Pineappling going on in late November including an episode where downtown Calgary had been closed due to windows getting blown out and debris blown around by high winds.  There was supposedly even a size 4.5 slide in Rogers Pass was is big for any time of year and especially impressive for early in the season. But between Highway 93 and Lake Louise, the runnels ceased.  I checked in at the Lake Louise hostel and dug a pit outside in a proper spot and found some light crusts and nasty facets/depth hoar at the bottom of a 44cm snowpack.  Well, the group room I got for $30 had only me in it, so I in effect got a private room for $30.  I still needed to get my ski legs in so the next day, I decided to put in a day at the Lake Louise ski area.  The hostel was nice enough to let me store some of my gear in a locker and I was able to get a shuttle bus ride to the area and whaddya' know, I was able to get in a ski day!  I even paid full freight for only about the 3rd time in 11 years.  I dug a pit at 7000' in a proper spot just outside the Back Bowls and found a stronger snowpack with no crusts ............. hmmm, the snowline musta' started between 5 and 7 thousand feet.

Then it was - as Carol Nelson used to say - Blue Speed Ahead  LAPS, BABY, LAPS!  I utilized the shiny new high speed ultra chi-chi Grizzly Express Gondola and down went Wapta, Pinecone Way (yeah, buddy!), Wiwaxy and Meadowlark among others.  All groomed and perfect for carving turns!  Short radius turns, medium radius turns, large radius turns, HUP-TWO-THREE-FOUR!  No stopping for lunch as I was in a feeding frenzy on blue groomers.  Concentrate on that carve and implement a tactic per Allison Gannet and Christian (Allison went to UVM and Christian is Vermont skiing) HUP-TWO-THREE-FOUR!  This was all done on my AT gear (includes Dynafit bindings) and at the gondola loading area, someone scanned my lift ticket so now the Lake Louise marketing data analytics database now has some customer in it from Massachusetts who came out to pound out laps on the groomers!

I went right up to 2PM and caught the shuttle back to the hostel.  That was a fun ski day and I was even a bit toasted at the end.  I lugged my toys to the Greyhound bus stop and caught the 3:20 Vancouver bus to Golden BC.

In Golden, I grabbed a meal at the not so chi-chi Husky truck stop ....... ummm, not recommended.  In the motel room, I organized my gear and read avie bulletins and Wx reports.  Then Corin the assistant ski guide showed up and we went over plans.

More to come and we'll all see why I and those in The Know and who get it like Hugh Hermann realize that the Icefields Parkway was built on the incorrect side of the Divide (re: Mistaya, Icefall, Assiniboine, etc)..

Mark P. Renson