Actually the lack of snow (looking outside reminds me exactly why I left New England - no offense intended :-( doesn't impact the private contractors that much unless they are working for CalTrans, etc.

While we had some impressive early storms last year, I look back at the six weeks of the last half of February and all of March as being one continuous storm. Snow was up past the top of my kitchen window. BTW, my kitchen window is on the second floor. I wondered how the snowblower operators covered themselves, i.e., how they mitigated the weather risk. Met a snowblower operation on the chair and it turns out that they are paid salary by the companies. With the exception of fuel and depreciation, the snow removal companies don't care if it snows or it doesn't as we pay a flat rate per driveway per season. Consider in fuel and depreciation, they would prefer it doesn't snow.

The chain monkeys, those wonderful people that charge $30-50 for putting your chains or taking them off, are not happy.

~Tom
WhoWasExcitedWhenItSnowedAQuarterInchPerhapsYesterday :-(

On Sat, Dec 31, 2011 at 7:19 AM, James Dugan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
The manager of Squaw Valley said on an NBC interview that they have 1000 seasonal part time workers waiting to get back on the payroll because of the lack of snow.  So the weather adds to the unemployment woes including private contractors who plow for a living in the winter.  Jimski