I would imagine that if you start the conversation with "What do we want
our students to be able to do with this device?", you'll have a clearer
idea as to what will work and what will simply not suffice. As tempting as
an iPad or tablet appears, it has significant challenges. Getting students
to make the transition from "entertainment device" to "learning tool" could
be even more challenging with such a device. I would also suggest that you
take a long look at the cost over the projected lifetime of the device, not
just the initial purchase price. Lastly, have a rollover plan. Sometimes
disposing of old equipment is surprisingly burdensome or costly.

Keith Nemlich
Technology Coordinator
Manchester Elementary Middle School
80 Memorial Avenue