This is a nice summary, even if it is selling a product:
http://www.cloudlock.com/solutions/compliance-and-regulation/google-docs-ferpa-compliance/

Basically, you have to keep the data from becoming public. So as long as
the documents that hold the student data are not shared "Public on the web"
you should be compliant.

*Bjorn Behrendt ~ Never Stop Learning*
*   [log in to unmask] | (802) 772-0003*
*
   Services: Webdesign, Consulting, Training via WebEx
*
*   Follow me: Google+ <https://plus.google.com/108865324810272946151/posts>
<http://www.facebook.com/pages/AskBjnet-Never-Stop-Learning/156186407768856>|
Android App <http://bit.ly/tez2pI> | Chrome
App<http://appdownload.conduit.com/?appid=d6ab936e-274f-42f4-bf56-4b4a531c35ac&download=true>
 | Newsletter <http://www.askbj.net/services/news-sign-up-form>*
*My Sites*
 ~ Google-Weekly.net <http://google-weekly.net/> ~ Podcast ~Episode 13 ~ If
I Could Travel In Time, I'd Visit... <http://bit.ly/x9rdF1>  (1/23/2012)
 ~ AskBj.net ~ Online Training and Ed Tech Resources ~ Jan 2012
Newsletter<http://bit.ly/s0RXB5>

*Join me:* Feb 6th at 3:15est for the first GWPodcast Google Hangout: More
Info <http://www.google-weekly.net/p/eduvt-hangout.html>