Are you using the mobile version of Google Docs? I haven't heard this
complaint from teachers or students, so I've tried to re-create this issue
and cannot.  I'm logged into my Google Aps, have a Google wordprocessing
document open, move to a different tab and copy some text, go back to the
doc and am able to paste without needing to re-login.  Did I miss
something?  I'm using the mobile version of GDocs.
Because of the clunky nature of GoogleDocs in iOS world, we've been having
kids paste things into notes or another wordprocessor (we purchased
Office2HD...mixed reviews) instead of working directly in Google.

As an aside, we've found that tables and spreadsheets work better than
basic wordprocessing on the iPads!

Rob Gervais
Director of Technology
Enosburgh Town School District