Hi Heather,
We have 1 to 1 programs at MMUHS and Camel's Hump Middle School this year in our CESU district that we are looking to grow next year (budget depending...)  Currently I am looking for PD opportunities that we could bring in-house this summer to work with the teachers that will be in these programs.
Most of the summer tech opportunities that I see each year are general tech trainings.  We even run one in our district.  The administration here is wondering about bringing someone in-house for a week to work with these teachers specifically to plan the 1 to 1 programs/curriculum etc.  Do you have any ideas on this?
Thanks for any info.
Hope you are well,
Jean Campbell

Jean Campbell
CESU Technology Support
211 Browns Trace
Jericho, VT 05465
Phone: 802-858-1726

>>> Heather Chirtea <[log in to unmask]> 1/27/2012 10:24 AM >>>
Hi There,
I want to invite everyone to look more closely within our own VT  borders for 1:1 guidance.

Collective Vision

Here's the Roadmap for the Digital Wish 1:1 e-Vermont initiative, running in 27 schools across the state. We developed this 3 years ago based on 18 months of research on 1:1, plus input from Apple, Microsoft, VPA, VSA, VSBA, NEA, 6 ESAs, and VITA-Learn.
http://schoolmodernizationinitiative.wordpress.com/the_initiative/vision/

Replicating Success
Unfortunately nearly every school we enter is re-inventing the wheel with 1:1 computing. It's an incredibly costly waste of time and resources. Digital Wish has reduced the planning time from 18 months, down to just 6 weeks. Every step in the process has been modeled as we go, for easy replication. Digital Wish is releasing 6 curriculum units based on the NETS standards, all of which are part of the 1:1 implementation kit. If you are thinking about 1:1, you should consider at least, getting the 1:1 kit:
http://www.digitalwish.com/dw/digitalwish/product?id=6554

Vermont Data
If you are trying to convince your board to fund 1:1, then here's Digital Wish's Vermont research study on improvements in 1:1 computing, based on surveys of 674 students and 45 teacher.
http://www.digitalwish.com/dw/digitalwish/news?id=143

Guidance
Implementing 1:1 computing demands you make an incredible number of decisions, plus you will have to entirely re-design your PD approach - or you won't succeed. Digital Wish can look at your 1:1 plan today, and quickly tell you the downstream ramifications of most decisions you are now considering.  Then we can share stories of what happened in other Vermont schools that made the same wrong/right decisions, you are potentially now about to make. If you want one of our experts to guide you, or shoot holes in your plan, Digital Wish will provide a consultant for $125/ hour or work on a monthly stipend to answer questions as you go.

Argue for Technology
Here is a video Digital Wish produced, to help you argue for technology funding with your board and parents:
http://www.youtube.com/user/DigitalWishChannel#p/a/u/0/kGDsryLUn8Y

All the best,
Heather Chirtea

--
Digital Wish, Executive Director
PO Box 1072, Manchester Center, VT 05255