A lawyer won't be able to answer this question because the likely of finding one that actually understands cloud computing is pretty slim, and I am sure Google's lawyers could rip a hole in any dispute.

The issue is larger than just google apps, because it would include any cloud computing.   Cloud-based backup services have similar access to student data, even programs like power school which houses this data externally.   The other thing to consider is who has more resources to keep your data safe Google or what your school gives you for a budget.

Bjorn Behrendt ~ Never Stop Learning
   [log in to unmask] | (802) 772-0003
   Services: Webdesign, Consulting, Training via WebEx
   Follow me: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Android App | Chrome App | Newsletter
My Sites
 Google-Weekly.net ~ Podcast ~Episode 13 ~ If I Could Travel In Time, I'd Visit...  (1/23/2012)
 ~ AskBj.net ~ Online Training and Ed Tech Resources ~ Jan 2012 Newsletter

Join me: Feb 6th at 3:15est for the first GWPodcast Google Hangout: More Info