different course.

From: Science for the People Discussion List
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Phil Gasper
Sent: 25 January 2012 08:53 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: My private moment of joy

Mandi,

Congratulations to you and Mbali. On Monday I heard a story on National
Public Radio in the US that mentioned the extreme shortage of university
openings in S. Africa, and that one woman was killed in a stampede at the
University of Johannesburg at the beginning of the year after thousands of
people waited overnight to register for a very limited numbers of places
(https://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechconsidered/2012/01/23/145645472/stanford-t
akes-online-schooling-to-the-next-academic-level). Of course the solution
that NPR was promoting was enrolling thousands of students in the same
online class in which students would have zero personal contact with the
instructor, rather than increasing funding to higher education.

Phil

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 6:57 AM, Mandi Smallhorne <[log in to unmask]>