what about the stampedes at walmart or wherever on one of those days--maybe after 'thanksgiving' or 'christmas'. there's also the stampedes after rock concerts and even in mecca (saudi arabia).   one can always look at dirk helbing on http://arxiv.org for crowd management, if not socioeconomic change.

thats actually a good story.   course, you never know where biotechnology will lead you once you get past the corregated shack. its hard to know what to do.  i am interested in the stacks of money. its pretty good kindling.

  (another one comes from an old marx brothers movies----you just throw the books in tthe fireplace. i did that after the old and new testament---i was on the yukon river; -40, ran out of kindling, had to go out in the swamp and collect some wood---of course all frozen---collect me a few cranberries and rosehips at the same time, tell the marten you already ate enogh of my salmon which i kept outside, and i decided this is going in the fire now---i didnt even want it in my place. i was getting nitemares).

From: Mandi Smallhorne <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, January 26, 2012 5:20 AM
Subject: Re: My private moment of joy

Yes, that was a terrible story. I believe the University of Johannesburg has 50000 places and nearly twice as many applicants. Young people are well aware that even with a tertiary qualification, their chances of getting a job are not fantastic, and they are desperate. I believe many end up doing quite inappropriate courses – Mbali shared a room with a girl last year who dropped out because she hated what she was studying. When I asked why she had registered for it then, Mbali said, well, it was the only course in which there was space. The boy whose mother died wants to do medicine, but since there’re no places, he is now doing a diploma course – the very one Mbali was on last year, biotechnology.
There are other mismatches, too – most kids think university is the only option, whereas my neighbour, a soil science professor, told me of two friends’ sons who went and did plumbing and something else practical and artisanal, and are now happily making stacks of money and starting their own businesses.
I would have hated to think that Mbali – who plainly fits science well – had missed out to provide place for some kid who would be better off doing a different course.