i  was listening to bbc tonite---now im listening to gogo. guy on----he is a supreme court judge/hiv aids etc in s africa. heavy duty. going to find my guitar today---they think im a transgender trying to convert me to christiainsanity--hey.ola

From: Mandi Smallhorne <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, January 30, 2012 12:22 AM
Subject: Re: Ritalin Gone Wrong: A.D.D. Drugs Don’t Work Long-Term

“…the illusion that children’s behavior problems can be cured with drugs prevents us as a society from seeking the more complex solutions that will be necessary.”
It’s my belief that there’s a number of areas in which the idea that ‘there’s a pill for every ill’ has swamped a more cautious, investigatory response that would create a rounded, holistic picture of individuals and what triggers their problems. The rapidity and facility with which medical practitioners make assessments (a speed which is driven in large part by free-market healthcare funding models) often offers short-term but ultimately ineffective help.
To give one tiny anecdotal example: a friend whose husband died as a result of a horrific case of medical negligence was still battling rage and depression after about five months. Her doctor put her on an anti-depressant, which initially made her sleep better, but her feelings did not disappear, they just got, as she put it, so they felt “like they were happening under glass”. Really, of course, she needed talking therapy – there was nothing wrong with her brain chemistry, her reaction to the event was quite appropriate.
In South Africa, there’s an epidemic of ADHD drug treatment among better-off kids, and as far as I can see, in many cases, the child’s behaviour would improve dramatically if he/she was given, firstly, adequate parental attention, and secondly, a different style of teaching.
Mandi