http://www.salon.com/2012/01/30/charles_murray_does_it_again/

Monday, Jan 30, 2012 7:00 AM CST

Charles Murray does it again

Big government has created a new lower class of lazy, shifty, low-IQ folks, argues Charles Murray

People wait in line at the 2011 Maximum Connections Job and Career Fair Thursday, Sept. 15, 2011, in Portland, Ore.

People wait in line at the 2011 Maximum Connections Job and Career Fair Thursday, Sept. 15, 2011, in Portland, Ore.  (Credit: AP/Rick Bowmer)

Hey, white people – they’re talking about you again!

I argued a few weeks ago that Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum might be able to believe they’re not singling out black people, or “blah” people, when they rail against food stamps and government “dependency” on the campaign trail. Yes, Republicans have long used not just dog whistles but foghorns to tell white working- and middle-class voters that welfare programs only support lazy, undeserving African-Americans. Ronald Reagan gave us those iconic Cadillac-driving “welfare queens” and “young bucks” using food stamps to buy T-bone steaks. Gingrich is certainly playing on that long history with his remarks. (It’s funny how our first “food stamp president” also happens to be black.)

Close
Joan Walsh

Joan Walsh is Salon's editor at large.  More Joan Walsh