Please forward

Hi,
One Saturday afternoon per month, I've been
organizing a gathering to benefit WBAI
financially, but more important -- to pull our
communities together and enjoy each other,
excellent food, great music and radical politics in downtown Manhattan.

So come on down THIS SATURDAY AFTERNOON! The
announcement (below) reflects some changes in the schedule.

Mitchel

Come on down to our third monthly "Saturday Showcase & Salon" to benefit WBAI
Saturday, January 14
2 pm – 4 pm
at the Lafayette Grill and Bar
54-56 Franklin Street in downtown Manhattan
(3 blocks south of Canal Street, between Lafayette and Broadway)
All trains to Canal St., or #1 train to Franklin St.
<http://www.mitchelcohen.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/promo-for-cart-2012-Jan-14.mp3>Listen<http://www.mitchelcohen.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/promo-for-cart-2012-Jan-14.mp3>
Here to 1-minute
<http://www.mitchelcohen.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/promo-for-cart-2012-Jan-14.mp3>promo

This month featuring:

* Alan Podber, Brooklyn-based Blues historian and
guitarist on loan to us from the Big Road Blues
Band. Alan just uncovered a freedom song that
LeadBelly wrote in 1948 which has likely not been
heard in public since 1949, the year he died -­
until now! Alan will be joined by Big Road
members Ricky Eisenberg and Ken Ficara, and will
perform pre-war blues with a bit of the music's radical history thrown in ….

* ALSO, topical songs by singer-songwriter Marcy
Gordon (the singing lawyer, also from the
People's Republic of Brooklyn), performed by the duo Bryan & Marcy.

* AND, in a return engagement, R&B guitarist
extraordinaire Ahmad Ali (host of Stony Brook
(WUSB) radio's "Cafe Ali" (and who sometimes
co-hosts late night shows on WBAI); and

* Dave Lippman, who will lead us in new satirical
songs from Occupy Wall Street (hopefully joined
by Gary Cobin on the harmonica).

* Howard Brandstein (Coordinator of the Sixth
Street Community Center as well as NY State
Against Genetic Engineering) will be this month's
featured speaker, and will update us on the
latest from the anti-GMO and "safe food" movement; and,

* Katie Kat ­ Street Opera performer, who will
sing Puccini's, "Quando men vo" from La Boheme.
(Katie's in rehearsals for a concert with One
World Symphony, where she's singing
Dvorak's  Song to The Moon on Jan. 22.)
http://www.oneworldsymphony.org/concerts1112_Moonlight.shtml

There'll be excellent Mediterranean food and
drink, free hors d'oeuvres, and a bottle of wine
as the door prize (compliments of Dino, the owner
of the Lafayette Grill); and literature, WBAI membership, and CD tables.

Entrance cost: Just $5 and no minimum ­ we want
to pull together our communities and thank WBAI
members, management and staff, not soak WBAI
listeners for what little funds they have! (And
if you can't afford even that, don’t sweat it! No
one turned away for lack of funds.)

Remember …. Revolution is as American as Occu-pie.

Come on down!

- Mitchel Cohen
Brooklyn Greens/Green Party, and
Chair, WBAI (99.5 FM) Local Station Board*

* for ID only ….

[after this, the next "Saturday Showcase & Salon"
will be on February 4th, so please save that date!]

http://www.MitchelCohen.com

Ring the bells that still can ring,  Forget your perfect offering.
There is a crack, a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in.
~ Leonard Cohen