Yesterday from Shelburne Bay access to the Charlotte ferry landing, the
predominant sighting was flock after flock of robins, 20-30 in a group;
then awoke this morning to the *song* of a robin, full-throated and clear.
The lake is freezing rapidly. Just now, on my porch, the first of the year
White-Throated sparrow and a lone junco and m. cardinal. Most fascinating
though : I'm watching a pair of male downy woodpeckers do their "bill
waving" behavior: on opposite sides of a sapling, facing each other and
perfectly choreographed, heads in the air they slowly and in sync wave
their bills at each other as they work their way up the tree. I'd never
observed that before. First thought it was a territory issue, then saw a
female not far off--but it's so early for courting--or is it? Later a
pileated w-p worked an old tree, and then-- a red-bellied w'pecker came to
the edge of the woods. Also 20 goldfinches, 16 tufted titmice, 2
white-breasted nuthatches--and the tops of the trees sparkling in ice
crystals---no words for all the wonders. Nancy Goodrich, Shelburne