I spent a productive hour at Shelburne Bay this afternoon. The resident Bald Eagle was perched in its favorite tree to the east of the parking lot, descending to the edge of the ice shelf later in the day to pick up a fish. There were lots of ducks swimming close to shore-Mallards, Black Ducks, Common Goldeneye, Bufflehead, Common Mergansers, and Lesser Scaup-but no sign of the White-winged Scoter that's been hanging around for a few weeks. Also, the usual gulls were present and accounted for as well as a single Common Loon.

At Converse Bay I (almost) ran into 5 Snow Geese that were cavorting in the parking lot. Strange. When they saw me coming they headed for the water.

Bruce MacPherson
South Burlington