I've had about a dozen Mourning Doves at my feeders this year; also more than usual. On two consecutive days this week, a Sharp-Shinned Hawk consumed Mourning Doves picked off from below the feeders. I was trying to confirm that it was a Sharpie as opposed to a Cooper's Hawk when a crow flew in and provided a very useful size comparison. Thank you Crow for your timely arrival; the Sharpie was MUCH smaller than the crow.  Two other observations:  The first day, the chickadees gathered in an apple tree immediately above the hawk that remained on the ground to consume the MODO.  The chickadees were in the tree for about 5 minutes and then resumed feeding at the feeders.  I thought at first that they wouldn't visit the bird feeders while the hawk was around, but they did and the hawk remained for several hours.  Secondly, on day two, the dove was not immediately killed. The Hawk stood on the back of the dove and took off the dove's primary feathers first. I'm assuming it did this so that the dove couldn't fly. I've seen piles of feathers in our yard at various times… now I have a better understanding of what happened!

Nancy Turner
Waitsfield