Today Chris and I rolled back the clock at MRG and got way more than we
expected for our $3.50. I haven't skied a whole lot yet this season, but
it was easily the best day of my otherwise lame season so far. The
overall conditions were about 8" of fluff over a hard base. This was
gradually chewed up on the trails, and some spots were scraped down to
that nasty hard base, but it wasn't difficult to find the soft spots.
The summit stake read 18", so neither of us was too gung-ho about the
usual woods runs, but we found some remarkably good low-angle lines off
the double, including a few lines of shin-deep untracked. Chris enjoyed
both L.A. runs, while the high points for me were the Quacky
neighborhood and the overlooked corners of Birdland.

The temperature was comfortable, the crowd was happy, and the atmosphere
was festive, with demos and free samples from Vermont food producers,
including soup, sausage, cookies, granola, cheese, and generous bowls of
Ben and Jerry's mint chocolate chunk ice cream.

This was the first real test of my new Black Diamond Joules. It took me
a few runs to make the adjustment from my old Explosivs, but once I did
they responded nicely. They don't have the crud-busting power of the
Explosivs, but at about 3.5 pounds lighter, that's to be expected. The
two skis have almost exactly the same dimensions, but that doesn't mean
they ski the same, and once I realized that the lightweight Joules don't
like to be stomped on like the Explosivs, I began skiing with more
finesse (which is the way I prefer to ski anyway) and they happily
handled all the bumps and crud I threw them at with ease. The only
problem I found was realizing that when I mounted the bindings, I forgot
that as a women's ski, the centerline is a little bit forward of what
I'm used to (maybe about an inch or less). I could consider remounting
them, or I could get used to the way they are, which is what I did, and
they're fine.

Unfortunately it looks like the precipitation tonight and tomorrow will
be of the liquid variety, so once again it looks like it'll be two steps
forward and one step back. Or one step forward and two steps back. Or
something. I was glad to get it while we could.

Dave G.