Well, I was thinking you can always hotlink the EngineCE API I wrote
which gets data directly from the Oracle DB, with caching so the
evening downtime doesn't break everything. It has scalable filtering
mechanisms, and pulling an individual template (rather than a  whole
page, for instance) is pretty easy. Unfortunately it only lists CE
courses, and it wouldn't be possible to list all courses for a while
since I haven't replaced the caching mechanism with a more scalable
model yet. I had been working on it until around the last week of
January when I started getting hit with a lot of programming that
wasn't directly web-related.

I think your best option would be to scrape the registrar's pages, and
if you're worried about the markup changing, you could always set up
some graceful error-handling and some caching mechanisms so things
don't break immediately. Remember, XPath is your friend for scraping
HTML. Also, if you're not aware, UVM has memcache servers, and you can
use the PHP Memcache library [ http://php.net/memcache ] to use the
memcache servers.

There's also a course list mechanism in the UVM templating system,
though I wouldn't think of using that directly because you don't get
much control over the content.

Meanwhile, it would be awesome if you suggested for a project someone
make suggestions and re-style the CE course list templates, though I'd
probably want to ask in my department first. It would be a good way to
get some feedback on my code and documentation.

Good luck with pulling the course catalog!

-Jacob