oh neglected to mention that the "solution" is often to encrypt in the local admin account and having a sticker on the machine with that password written on it; so people can remember how to log into this shared machine at 10pm in a strange hotel room.  Helpfully nullifying encryption.  I've already seen this in action in 2 departments.  Well intentioned folks attempting to deal with confusing technology.

-R