UVM's Information Security Operations Team is bringing a speaker to campus on Feb. 24 who has considerable experience with social networking and the protection (and abuse) of people's privacy and reputations.  We think this talk will be appropriate for all members of the University community, especially for students.  Here is a brief invitation that I encourage you to share with anyone you think might be interested.

 Wish I Hadn't Posted That: How Facebook Affects Your Present and Your Future

You know what social networking is. You know how you and your friends use it. But do you know how cybercriminals and legitimate companies alike use social networking technologies to find out about you?

Plymouth State University Police Department Investigator Jennifer Frank's presentation covers the history of social networking, how it is being utilized, and the liabilities of various social networking sites and your use of them. Along the way, she'll consider cyberbullying, social media outlets and your privacy, legal and personal implications of use of social networking services, cyberstalking, sexting and an opportunity to view the digital footprint left behind by the use of these various Internet sites.  She'll discuss websites such as Chat Roulette, Google Street View, Gowalla, Bright Kite, Youtube, Twitter, Places, Latitude and many others, with an emphasis on the social networking website Facebook.

Come and join other students and members of the campus community for this entertaining, informative and thought-provoking talk.

When: 1:00 pm, Friday, February 24, 2012

Where: 102 Aiken

[Source: http://www.uvm.edu/it/?Page=news&storyID=13035&category=ets ]

We've heard Jennifer talk, and we think her presentation will be both useful and interesting.  By the way, this is a live-and-in-person talk, not a webinar.  I hope you can make it.

Best regards,
Dean Williams and the Information Security Operations Team

Dean Williams
Information Security Officer
Enterprise Technology Services
[log in to unmask] | 802-656-1174

Don't become a phishing victim!  UVM and other reputable organizations will never use email to request that you reply with your password, Social Security Number, date of birth or confidential personal information.  Never reply to an email with your password, SSN, date of birth, or any other confidential personal information.  Never enter your UVM Net-ID password on a non-UVM web page.