With the BYOD initiatives, Chromebooks and tablets the concept of no server is a much more manageable solution then trying to give access to these resources.  Breaking away from Active Directory and networked resources made my 1:1 netbooks implementation much easier (and cheaper because I can get away with Windows home)

As for admin access.  If a student gets caught "hacking" the system it is a disciplinary problem.   If we want to stop junkware and stuff then having a good cloning solution or deepfreeze solution would out.   We should give them all the access they need to be productive.   This past week I had student install a conversion tool on a lab computer they were using because we needed it for a project.  Admin access doesn't always mean malicious and junk, it could provide productivity and creativity.

Bjorn Behrendt ~ Never Stop Learning
   [log in to unmask] | (802) 772-0003
   Services: Webdesign, Consulting, Training via WebEx
   Follow me: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Android App | Chrome App | Newsletter
My Sites
 Google-Weekly.net ~ Podcast ~Episode 14 ~ Back to Basics and TOS  (1/31/2012)
 ~ AskBj.net ~ Online Training and Ed Tech Resources ~ Jan 2012 Newsletter

Join me: Feb 6th at 3:15est for the first GWPodcast Google Hangout: More Info