In today's world,  I live by my ability to search.  Which is why I have created a filter for all School IT in my gmail account and use Gmail's searchability to compensate for lack of search.
Google does Search well within its products.
So until search comes to School IT list perhaps some of these tips could help.
http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=7190

Having been a member of this network  since the days of the BBS, I can honestly say that it is the "COMMUNITY"  that matters more than the tool.  and the School-IT community ROCKS!

Lucie