Hi David,

I've seen these symptoms under varying circumstances as well.

The two primarily solutions I've found are verifying that QoS Packet
Scheduler is installed and enabled on the network adapter of any computers
accessing a 2008 box. Without this I've seen 4-30 second delays when
establishing any sort of network connectivity to 2008 boxes.

If this doesn't seem to be the issue, then there is a registry tweak that
I've found helpful.

HKLM\Servics\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\[GUID
for active network adapter]\    DWORD   TcpAckFrequency=1

If this key doesn't exist on the server, create it and reboot. I've found
this also helps when put on the client side, however I typically only do
this on an as needed basis for specific workstations experiencing issues.
 I've found this to make a huge difference on every day file sharing
(either between XP/2003 machines) as well as resolve my 4-20 second long
delays when opening/saving documents to a share.

Here's an MS article regarding the specifics:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328890

Although the key is not specifically to help with this issue, it has worked
consistently across multiple environments that have exhibited the symptoms
you indicated.

Be sure to let us all know how this get's resolved... It definitely sounds
like quite the odd issue...

Mike Tisdale
http://www.miketisdaleconsulting.com
(800) 604-1806 (toll free)