Brad
Thanks for this timely message.  Just so happened that I had students who needed to do this today.  They recorded an audio track using other programs on the ipad (Audio Boo)  and (iTalk) and sure enough wanted to add this into an IMOVIE.
So far we have been untethered to a computer with these ipads.  I looked and looked and surfed and surfed and have found nothing but frustration that this can not be done!
It seems that going from GarageBand to Imovie should be seamless.
If anyone else stumbles across a work around,  please please share!
Thanks Brad for your post.

Delusionally optimistic that there is a way (or will be soon)

Lucie