THANKS to everyone who participated in this lively discussion.
It confirmed my thoughts on many fronts.  It also challenged some of my assumptions.
I think the conversation is not about "laptop"  vs "desktop" so much as it is what will shift the culture of a school towards ...... (you fill in the blank of what outcome you are looking for)  and what role will this particular tool play  towards that shift.

There are many stakeholders in the conversation and each is pushing their own vision of what "success means".   Success measures could range from (we increased the number of workstations by X%; we stayed underbudget; there there are no more service calls about unreliable equipment; the number of ways (and contact hours) tools are being used by sudents has increase by X%,   the use of tools to collaborate amongst staff has increased by x%)

Thanks to everyone who has chimed it. This was a thoughtful conversation.  Much appreciated.
Lucie