From what I understand about the MS upgrade license is that the computers you purchase need to at least come with a version of windows on it or else you technically need to purchase a full upgrade.   This means if you purchase linux netbooks the upgrade license does not apply, but if you get windows starter on it then the upgrade will work.

So to be legal if you have their VLA or subscription you still need to purchase machines that come with at least Windows Starter.  But the installation media and S/N you get will work on a computer without an O/S.

All Microsoft media can easily be downloaded from the e-open site.

Bjorn Behrendt ~ Never Stop Learning
   [log in to unmask] | (802) 772-0003
   Services: Webdesign, Consulting, Training via WebEx
   Follow me: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Android App | Chrome App | Newsletter
My Sites
 Google-Weekly.net ~ Podcast ~ Episode 18 ~ Making Google Apps FERPA compliant with CloudLock (2/27/2012)

Join me in person: March 10 2012 ~ http://1to1summit.wordpress.com/