I am ok with a $1000 13" Macbook Air, as optical drives are unneeded really. Yes you have to buy 5 of them, but still it is more then adequate.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/10/apple-offering-stripped-down-999-13-macbook-air-to-educational-institutions-buying-in-bulk/

Logan Cooke
Tech Coordinator | The Warren School

On Feb 29, 2012, at 11:54 AM, Drew Blanchard wrote:

I like the ideas behind the Raspberry Pi, but it's going to have really limited appeal in our market.  Still, I'd love to get my hands on one.

With iPad3 looming imminently, I wonder how that device will be different, too.  Lots of buzz and rumors, just not sure it will be any sort of game changer:

http://www.tuaw.com/2012/02/28/apple-announces-march-7-ipad-3-event/

All this,  just as Winooski and Burlington are on the cusp of making some major purchases.   Frustratingly, this announcement will be the day after teachers from our 2 districts meet to discuss, among other things, what we want in a device for 1-to-1 roll out next year.

This follows on the heels of the demise of "regular" MacBooks.  We were told by an Apple sales rep the remaining stock of those laptops "was gone in the first two days" of the discontinuation notice.  Leaving us with some pricey options....

Apple used to be smarter than this.  Or, at least more interested in the education market.

Drew