Wow…wish it were simpler. I’ll send it along to our tech people.

From: School Information Technology Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Marion Bates
Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2012 8:42 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Google Apps -- change domain alias into secondary domain?

Hi Elizabeth,

I did some fooling around yesterday, so I'll share what I learned in case it's helpful to anyone.

Since I still don't know the answer re: domain aliases, I registered a new domain altogether to play with. Then I went to the domain settings -> domain names page and clicked "Add a domain alias or domain." Then I chose "Add another domain" and typed it in. That's when I hit the first snag -- it said "multiple domains are not supported with Postini."

Our background with Postini: Didn't enable it when we first set up GAE, then added it later when it was still free (not archiving, just message security). Changed MX records and all that. Then, at the beginning of this month, as per their email notifications, Google swallowed that basic functionality and migrated it into the main apps admin panel (thank goodness!) so we switched MX records back and were effectively done with Postini. But, it was still showing up in the admin dashboard, and whenever I tried to click a link to its settings page to disable it, it would just return me to the dashboard. Turns out this is a known issue, and when I reported it to Google Support yesterday, they had an engineer fix it for me (in under two hours!) and then I was able to proceed with the adding-a-domain process.

So: Now, if I pull up a user and click "rename user", it has that option that Rob's had:

change-primary.png

Woot! So I did this for Mr. Guest here, then went to the main/generic google.com site and clicked Log In; entered the newly-defined email address; and, I'm in!

HOWEVER. If I go to a login page within our organization, e.g.

our-login.png

then, George can't log in. Which makes sense since it shows right there that it implies the primary domain, "@hanovernorwichschools.org". (I tried it with and without the @rayhanover.org portion just in case, but no dice.) If, however, I manually change the URL from

https://www.google.com/a/hanovernorwichschools.org/LoginAction2?service=mail

https://www.google.com/a/rayhanover.org/LoginAction2?service=mail

then, voila:

our-other-login.png

And George CAN log in there.

So that's a snag, since users are likely to encounter the previous "version" of the login during their travels (like if they begin at our Start page, as they've all been told to do.) Sigh. I'm not sure what to do about that. Make a second start page for our little kids perhaps (since the original goal of this whole adventure was to make less typing for youngsters logging in.)

Regarding doing it globally -- Rob had said that he had to do it one-by-one. But, gam can do it: http://code.google.com/p/google-apps-manager/wiki/ExamplesMultiDomain and scroll down to "Moving Users between Domains."  So you could script it to do a bunch of users.  :)  FYI I use gam on a Mac running Snow Leopard and it works swimmingly, once you do the up-front OAuth magic. The documentation is pretty awesome.

Ah, and that page led me to this: http://support.google.com/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=182081  List of limitations of multi-domain support. It mentions the thing I just documented above:

Well, OK then!

Hope this helps. I still want to know about changing domain aliases into secondary domains, but I have a better sense of the whole picture so can probably find the answer if I dig a bit deeper.

Thanks all,

-- MB