From:  Mandi Smallhorne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:  Tue, 7 Feb 2012 11:34:54 +0200
To:  <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:  Bright minds, dark attitudes

Bright Minds and Dark Attitudes: Lower Cognitive Ability Predicts Greater
Prejudice Through Right-Wing Ideology and Low Intergroup Contact
Gordon Hodson and Michael A. Busseri
Brock University
Abstract
Despite their important implications for interpersonal behaviors and
relations, cognitive abilities have been largely ignored as explanations of
prejudice. We proposed and tested mediation models in which lower cognitive
ability predicts greater prejudice, an effect mediated through the
endorsement of right-wing ideologies (social conservatism, right-wing
authoritarianism) and low levels of contact with out-groups. In an analysis
of two large-scale, nationally representative United Kingdom data sets (N =
15,874), we found that lower general intelligence (g) in childhood predicts
greater racism in adulthood, and this effect was largely mediated via
conservative ideology. A secondary analysis of a U.S. data set confirmed a
predictive effect of poor abstract-reasoning skills on antihomosexual
prejudice, a relation partially mediated by both authoritarianism and low
levels of intergroup contact. All analyses controlled for education and
socioeconomic status. Our results suggest that cognitive abilities play a
critical, albeit underappreciated, role in prejudice. Consequently, we
recommend a heightened focus on cognitive ability in research on prejudice
and a better integration of cognitive ability into prejudice models.
Keywords
cognitive ability, intelligence, right-wing ideology, contact, prejudice
Received 3/1/11; Revision accepted 7/25/11
Research Article
Downloaded from pss.sagepub.com by guest on February 7, 2012

database 6864 (20120207) __________

http://www.eset.com