when " it was brutally cold" think like a polar bear!

________________________________
From: Vermont Skiing Discussion and Snow Reports [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Mark P. Renson [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Sunday, February 12, 2012 11:06 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Mad River Glen VT, 20120211 - 20120212

With 3 skier fatalities in the past week (Sugarbush, Jay, Mt Snow), it was a weekend to be very careful.  Yeah, it's scary out there.  I did Rug Rat Patrol at 9:30AM - it's when we patrollers help the ski school kiddies ride the Double - and then headed up The Single for sled running.  Really got drilled hard running the tail and in the handles, I worshipped the chain brake.  Running over an ice floe hanging onto the crossbeam with a death grip, I was deeply relieved to hear that chain brake bite into the surface with that deafening grinding.  In fact, it was difficult to maintain communication between the tail-gunner and the man in the handles with the loud powder.  Very rewarding morning in the handles, however.

Groomers were the place to be.  Sweep down Gazelle was nasty in the headwall.

This morning, trail check down Slalom Hill was AWFUL.  Plus it was brutally cold.  A Nor'incher moved in.  By the end of the day, I was finding spots where the 1/2' of new had drifted into 1", MAYBE EVEN MORE!  Yes, I was finding stashes on skiers left of Antelope and Quacky was skiing nicely on sweep.

Mark P. Renson