I happen to disagree with the concept of no funding ---
The cost of implementation is not just the cost of the technology
purchases. Ask any teacher who has secure grants (whether $10,000  or
$100,000 grant) the cost of implementation also included double that in
human cost that were not "charged"  out.   So cutting the grants and the
funding sources, and continuing to hope for forward movement,  new learning
in your staff, and innovation in your school means someone is still willing
to do the work (for free to taxpayers, but still at a cost to the people
doing the work).
If your budget has been slashed and your programs continue to grow, change,
innovate, it is because you have dedicated educators willing to pay the
price to make it happen
Making an instructional shift has a cost -  the amount of time we  put in
to redesign lessons and instruction has a cost.
the amount of time we spend on self-directed PD and learning new tools has
a cost.  FREE web 2.0 tools are NOT free to implement.  Every teacher who
is willing to seek out and learn a new web 2.0 tool when one vendor starts
charging, is just taking on the cost themselves.   We  take on the cost  to
the so that we can squeeze every last bit out of  budget to benefit our
kids.
We also take on more and more initiatives and squeeze more and more into
our 45 min prep periods and 25 minute lunch breaks to try new learning
practices, collaborate with colleagues, and more.
It may not be an additional cost to a taxpayer when you restructure
resources, but there is a HUGE cost in personal commitment,  time, energy,
and other "free resources".
And YES our kids and their learning is WORTH it, and most educators are
willing to pay the price - but they are paying a price.
the price ranges from "sacrificed time with family,  less time at the gymn,
weekends on the computer,  squeezing in every bit of free PD you can find
(watching webinars/ reading Tweets, and following links on my Smart phones.
 I LOVE my job and am so glad that I work in such an incredibly stimulating
job where I can be creative and always learning.  But it is at a COST  and
I'm not willing to to use  the language "many of these things don't cost
anything" when I describe change in a school.

Perhaps this rant is a influenced  by the fact that I have willingly and
enjoyably spent most of my school break using the "space"  of extra time on
school related matters.  I am lucky to thrive on the creativite and
innovative thinking and learning that happen during these 'breaks'.
So please don't take this as whining
It's more a "don't sell yourself short" --- You have VALUE and what you
contribute has VALUE even if some call it a 'free resource'.   For others
to value us as professionals, we have to be careful to use language that
establishes and reinforce the worth we bring to the profession.

This is one of the reasons I  (and other Vita-Learn reps) have recently
taken on Project IGNITE - a project that tries to at least exchange
"recognition"  and "networking"  to educators who are willing to share
their innovative and transformative practices with their peers.    The
project is meant as KINDLING to what I hope will fuel a BONFIRE  -- of
educators 'freely'  sharing innovative practices.

https://sites.google.com/site/connectedvoicesprojectvt/home/project-ignite

If you know one of the teachers identified so far, please take a minute and
add a comment to the VoiceThread that helps others learn what you know
about what innovation looks like because of this educator's commitments.
If you know someone who would be a good candidate on the next round of
recognition,  please submit their name (there's a place) on the page liked
above.

Lucie

--
Lucie deLaBruere