I believe firmly that you should start with your end educational outcomes
and then work backwards (backwards design) to what solution to implement.

We are using one set of chrome books at Cornwall school to promote writing
using Google Docs.  They are a good fit for the purpose they are being used
for.  We purchased them unmanaged and refurbished which allowed us to
purchase them for $250 each.  Normally $300 (checkout tigerdirect).

I think the unmanaged works fine in a small school.  The main feature that
I would like to "manage" is to set the home page for each user.  We did
this by logging in as every user... this is ok a a small school but
unmanageable at a larger school.  We make the home page a student portal
that is a google site that teachers can edit.

   - Josh