I will agree with Ray about he limitations of an iPad despite the clear
advantage of touch, portability and convenience. Although it can be done,
the iPad is not designed as a "content creation device" and even when you
invest in apps (which you will need to) it may not have the power and
flexibility of a full OS and a set of local applications. I would agree
with Logan that the iPad can offer "more" in some ways, but I think that is
as much about the learning environment and instructional design as the
device itself.

I would say the same about cloud tools: sufficient for most tasks, but
there are still a few things (think: video editing) that are just not
practical in the cloud. I see no need to shy away from local storage if it
is available, although having as much as possible in the cloud seems the
sensible route these days. Like iPads, there are occasional challenges
getting content from one location/application to another and believe it or
not there are still places in Vermont without wireless Internet. Are we
100% "cloud ready?"

Every choice has support, management, and budget implications and I HOPE
that our choices are dictated primarily by the needs of our teachers and
students. Thinking in terms of the functionality we want to provide to our
teachers and students as well as the cost and support implications, my
choice would be a netbook/notebook running a Linux OS. IMHO the "best bang
for the buck."

*Eric Hall
Technology Coordinator*
*Waterbury/Duxbury School District*
*Washington West SU*

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 5:13 PM, Raymond Ballou <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> Logan
>
> because the iPad is twice the price?
>
> at the level of scale you mentioned, price is obviously a factor even if
> it is not a consideration.
>
> as someone else mentioned it really depends on what you and your users
> expect out of the device.
>
> if the plan is to "create" content, then an iPad has limitations.
>
> if the plan is to "consume" content, then the Chromebook must have
> limiations (fewer apps?)
>
> I am not saying that user desire isnt an important consideration, but my
> guess is that we can agree it isn't the only consideration.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not an intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the message.