If you use the filtering piece, you can set it to notify you of inappropriate language - which includes comments/chats made on shared documents.

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 7:49 PM, Phyllis Tate <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
On the flip side of the coin why would we want to turn off the chat?  Don't we want out students to learn how to use these tools?  Don't we want them collaborating?  Of course,  we have to educate them to chat appropriately.  We use Google apps at our school, both teachers and students, and we have had a couple of reported misuses of chats and e-mails but we handled them as they occurred and used them as teachable moments.  If we could turn off the chat the kids would just find another way to chat through Yahoo, or even on their cell phones.

Let's teach the kids how to properly use these tools.

Phyllis